This policy is for candidates and learners, Academia2link is a training provider and recruits candidates to universities and colleges.
In order to provide these services we need to use personal data. That means that we may need to use information about you, for example your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, exam results, voice or video recording or other information by which we can tell who you are. We might collect the data from you directly or from your school or centre of learning.
Sometimes we might even need to hold special personal data about you, for example information about your health. But we would only hold this type of special information if we have a clear reason for doing so, such as to make special arrangements. Where appropriate, we would seek permission first
It is important to us that we protect your privacy and any personal data that we hold about you. This Policy describes the way we use personal data so that you can know how you might be affected. If you have any questions about this, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Purposes for which we use personal data
Sometimes we may need to use your personal data where it is necessary to fulfil the requirements of a contract that you may be a party to. Apart from that we will only use personal data where we have what is known as legitimate interests. What that means is that if we use your personal data it is either because it is necessary in order to provide services to you or for other reasons that you might reasonably expect an organisation like us to use your personal data (without unfairly affecting your privacy or any other rights you may have).
The following activities require the use of personal data in order for us to provide our products and/or services. We may have to withdraw the provision of such products and/or services if we cannot use your personal data.
- Developing and delivering academic and vocational qualifications/programmes, including the development of assessment materials (such as exam questions and marking guidelines), the collection, marking and grading of exam scripts, the administrative systems used to support these processes, the issuing of awards and certificates.
- Developing and delivering publications and other resources that support learning in connection with such academic and vocational qualifications.
- Monitoring the performance of those involved in the provision of such academic and vocational qualifications.
- Investigating allegations of misconduct in relation to the sitting of exams.
- Ensuring the appropriate examination facilities are available to those with specific requirements.
- Checking that an individual (e.g. a candidate) is who they say they are.
- Handling complaints.
- Sending your information to other institutions
The following are examples of other activities which involve our use of personal data:
- Carrying out research in the field of education and qualification delivery, setting standards and other activities that are required to ensure that our services are delivered to a high standard and that candidates are protected.
- Understanding the needs of candidates and other users of our services (including qualifications).
- Providing training to individuals, such as teachers and examiners, in connection with our services.
- For purposes connected with our internal business, including understanding and protecting ourselves from risks, protecting any personal data that we hold, internal record-keeping and carrying out business checks.
We may use personal information provided by you to carry out marketing and market research. We will only do this where we have your consent to contact you for these purposes. You can opt out of these contacts at any time.
We may sometimes use a method known as profiling. In part, this method involves automatically collecting certain information in order to understand how people might behave, but we will not make decisions based on this without some human involvement. We occasionally use this method when someone is doing a test on a computer where his or her activity has been questioned, or to assist with test itself.
We may also use profiling for marketing purposes and to improve the quality of our services.
Transferring personal data
We may share personal data with:
- With other people and/or businesses who provide services on our behalf.
- With other schools or educational establishments which you attend.
- With the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, other universities and other organisations/businesses, in order to help candidates that are making applications.
- Where we are required to do so by law.
The United Kingdom and countries inside the European Economic Area have specific laws which protect the way personal data is used. We may transfer personal data to countries outside of the European Economic Area where personal data is not protected in the same way (usually to other businesses who provide services on our behalf). In such cases, we will make sure that suitable safeguards are in place to protect the personal data. What that means is that whoever we transfer data to will have to agree to protect the personal data in an appropriate way. You can request further information about this by emailing email@example.com
We may keep personal data only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we are processing your personal information unless the law permits or requires longer. For example, we might need to keep your personal data for quality assurance of the service we have provided, or we might need to keep it to defend future legal claims.
Depending on the country in which you live, you may have certain rights over any personal data of yours which we hold. If so, you will be informed of these rights before your personal data is collected or as soon as is reasonable afterwards.
If you think that we have used your personal data unfairly then you may have the right to complain about us to the authority in your country which is responsible for guarding data protection laws.
Changes to this policy